Avvocato admitted to the Turin Bar and Ph.D. in law & economics, Catherine Costaggiu focuses on Dispute Resolution and more specifically on international arbitration and litigation. She is also responsible for CastaldiPartners’ activities related to ESG, sustainability and renewable energies.
Prior to joining CastaldiPartners, Catherine Costaggiu worked in Rome and Milan in the litigation and arbitration department of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, where she assisted clients in domestic and international arbitrations and litigations across a variety of sectors, including oil & gas, construction, banking, satellite communications and sports. She then became counsel for an Italo-Argentine company, where she worked, among other things, on sustainability, non-financial reporting and ESG risks.
She is currently a research fellow at the University of Brescia, with a project on renewable energy regulation. She works in English, Italian, Spanish, Bulgarian and French and has a basic knowledge of Russian.
- Advising a major Italian multiutility company in the potential acquisition of the status of benefit corporation under Italian law.
- Advising an Italian start-up company active in the provision of sustainability services in connection with several issues relating to the set-up of the company and its business activities.
- Assisting an Italian oil & gas contractor in an ICC arbitration commenced against several subcontractors in connection with an EPC contract for the construction of energy facilities.
- Assisting an Italian energy company in an ICC arbitration commenced by a multinational group in relation to post-acquisition environmental claims.
- Advising an international energy entity in relation to the potential consequences arising from the possible revocation of certain administrative authorizations.
- Advising an Italian construction company in relation to a dispute concerning a railway infrastructure project in a Latin America country.
- Assisting an Italian satellite communications company in an ICC arbitration initiated by an agent in relation to agency agreements.
- Assisting a railway company before Italian courts in civil proceedings initiated by a subcontractor in relation to certain procurement agreements.
- Assisting a football company before Italian courts in civil proceedings relating to the Italian football league.
- Assisting a financial institution in civil proceedings before the London Court of Appeals in relation to certain derivative swap transactions.
- Seminar on “Managing ESG litigation risk” - management engineering, University of Brescia, Dipartimento di energia meccanica e industriale, December 3, 2021.
- Moderator at the conference on “She Changes Climate”, organized by Professional Women’s Association of Rome jointly with the W20 to discuss certain topics related to the COP26, November 29, 2021.
- Moderator at the conference on “People, Planet and Prosperity. The Gap in Gender Equality”, organized by Professional Women’s Association of Rome to discuss certain topics related to the G20, October 20, 2021.
- Moderator at the conference on “Recovery Fund. Where Do We Stand?”, organized by Professional Women’s Association of Rome to discuss certain topics related to the Italian Recovery Fund, May 25, 2021.
- Speech on “Afectación de los derechos de las mujeres en tiempo de COVID-19: el caso italiano” - Ministerio de la Mujer of the Dominican Republic, June 30, 2020.
- C. Costaggiu, “The Evolution of BITS: Toward Reconciling Foreign Investment Protection and Socio-Economic Human Rights”, in Italian Yearbook of International Law, 2020.
- C. Costaggiu, “Performance Requirements”, in Jus Mundi’s Wiki Notes, 2020.
- Research fellow at the University of Brescia, with a project relating to the regulation of renewable energies (since March 2021).
- D. in International Law & Economics at Università commerciale Luigi Bocconi, with a thesis on “Effectively Bridging Human Rights and Investment Law” (September 2016 – June 2020).
- Research scholar at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina (October 2018 – April 2019).
- Columbia Law School, LL.M. (Fulbright Scholar).
- Università degli studi di Torino, J.D.
- McGill, School of Law (Exchange Student).