Valentine Chessa has been practicing in the international arbitration team of CastaldiPartners since 2010. In 2016, she became a partner. Her practice focuses on international arbitration, both ad hoc and institutional, before the main arbitration institutions (ICC, LCIA, SCC, CAM, ...) in a wide range of industry sectors, including energy and construction.
Before joining CastaldiPartners, Valentine Chessa worked at the ICC International Court of Arbitration Secretariat for five years, where she supervised hundreds of arbitration proceedings with parties from all over the world involving a wide range of sectors and legal issues.Valentine Chessa also acts as arbitrator and has been involved in numerous arbitration proceedings as administrative secretary of Alexis Mourre, the current President of the ICC International Court. She has been co-chair of ArbIt for the period 2017-2018, she is a Board member of ArbitralWomen, and one of the reporters for France of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration. Valentine Chessa has always worked in English, French and Italian.
- Representing a French company in the construction industry in an ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a plant in Iran (seat: Paris (France); applicable law: Iranian; language: English).
- Representing an Italian company in the tourism industry in an ICC arbitration related to the termination of a long-term contract for the rental of a resort in Tunisia (seat: Paris (France); applicable law: Tunisian; language: French).
- Representing an Italian company in the gas industry in an arbitration before the Foreign Trade Court of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Serbia relating to the sale of natural gas compressors (seat: Belgrade (Serbia); applicable law: Serbian; language: English).
- Representing two Italian companies in the railway sector in a VIAC arbitration relating to the termination of a contract for force majeure (seat: Vienna (Austria); applicable law: Russian; language: English).
- Representing an American trust for the enforcement in France of a FINRA award annulled in the U.S.A.
- Representing a French company in the sugar industry in an ICC arbitration relating to the sale of conditioning silos (seat: London (UK); applicable law: English; language: English).
- Representing an Italian company in the renewable energies sector in an ICC arbitration relating to a shareholder dispute with a leading banking group (seat: Paris; applicable law: Italian; language: English).
- Representing a US manufacturer of furnaces in an ICC arbitration relating to the sale of furnaces in the nuclear energy sector (seat: Brussels (Belgium); applicable law: French; language: English).
- Representing an Italian company in the aeronautical sector in an ICC arbitration arising out of the termination of a supply contract (seat: Frankfurt (Germany); applicable law: German; language: English).
- Representing an Albanian company owned by Italian investors in an ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a dam (seat: Paris (France); applicable law: Italian; language: Italian).
- Third Global Conference of the Co-chairs’ Circle (co-organiser), 18 May 2018, Rome (Italy.) YPCP Conference on Management of a construction arbitration case, 8 January 2018, Paris (France).
- ArbIt/ArbitralWomen joint conference New Frontiers and Challenges in International Arbitration: from Stone Age to Artificial Intelligence, 6 December 2017, Milan (Italy).
- IBA 6th Construction Projects from Conception to Completion Conference, Top tips for the best awards in construction disputes, 14-16 September 2017, Brussels (Belgium).
- 29th Annual ITA Workshop, Recent developments in France and Switzerland, 14-16 June 2017, Dallas (Texas, U.S.A.).
- Joint event AIA/Arbit, Advocay and legal Priviliege in International Arbitration, 23 June 2017 a Roma (Italy).
- CIArb European Branch Conference, The parties’ and counsel’s legal background and its impact on arbitral practice, 28-29 April 2017, Rome (Italy). Luiss University, Recent developments in France and the new ICC Rules, 27 April 2017, Rome (Italy).
- ICC YAF/ICDR Y&I/Young ICSID, 2016’s hot topics: change is in the air, 8 December 2016, Paris (France).
- ICC YAF, The emergency arbitrator in the ICC Rules, 8 April 2016, Thessaloniki (Greece). Organisation of several roundtables on the expedited procedures.
- V. Chessa, N. Barysheva; ITA Arbitration Report for France – KluwerArbitration since 2015.
- V. Chessa, A. Musella; GAR Know how - Construction Arbitration 2018 – Italy.
- V. Chessa, A. Musella; GAR Know how - Construction Arbitration 2017 – Italy.
- V. Chessa, A. Musella; GAR Know how - Construction Arbitration 2016 – Italy.
- V. Chessa, A. Mourre; in Commentario breve al diritto dell'arbitrato nazionale ed internazionale by Massimo V. Benedettelli, Claudio Consolo, Luca G. Radicati di Brozolo; Parte II Titolo II. La convenzione arbitrale.
- V. Chessa, N. Barysheva; Impecuniosity And Denial Of Justice: Walking On Eggshells; Kluwer Blog; 16 November 2016.
- V. Chessa; ICC Arbitration, New Rules for a New Era in Current Issues and Future Challenges in International Arbitration; International Bar Association (IBA) ebook 2016.
- V. Chessa; Non-Participating Parties and Burden of Proof: French Cour de Cassation Quashes a Paris Court of Appeal Decision Refusing Enforcement. Yukos Capital v. Tomskneft; Kluwer Blog; 3 August 2015.
- V. Chessa, A. Mourre; A comparative Approach to the Standards of Review of Arbitral Awards under Substantive Public Policy, in Liber Amicorum dedicated to Professor Jerzy Rajski; 2015.
- V. Chessa, J. Fouret, A. Musella; Enforcement of Investment Treaty Arbitration Awards - Chapter Italy; Globe Law and Business; 2015.
- V. Chessa; Report on a conference held in Rome in July 2014 on the new IBA Guidelines on Party Representation; Global Arbitration Review; 25 July 2014.
- V. Chessa, S. Migliorini; Arbitrato e Concorrenza, Limiti e Prospettive di una Convivenza; Bocconi Legal Papers N°3 June 2014.
- V. Chessa, A. Mourre; The New French Arbitration Law: Innovation & Consolidation; Dispute Resolution Journal May-July 2011.
- V. Chessa; Arbitrators’ Discretion and Powers with respect to Evidence; Quaderni dell’Arbitrato N°1 La Prova nell’Arbitrato Internazionale; 2010.
- Université Robert Schuman, Strasbourg.
- Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas.